ybrikman

ybrikman

Do Cool Sh*t: Quit Your Day Job, Start Your Own Business, and Live Happily Ever After - Miki Agrawal Pros:

* Some parts of the book are inspiring. The author has, indeed, done some cool sh*t.
* Good insight into human psychology and how to communicate effectively. Some of these ideas are obvious, but it's easy to forget them in certain contexts, such as in an email or when asking for a favor. Examples:
** All relationships must be mutually beneficial.
** When convincing someone, make sure to talk about "we", not "I". Present a "shared" vision for the future.
** Everyone wants to be heard, so always give people an opportunity to share something about themselves.
** Avoid small talk. Instead of asking about the weather, ask people about their dreams, their vision, and what excites them.
** If you make people feel like experts, they will go out of their way to help you.
** Always try to make people laugh.
** Always smile.
** People love free food.

Cons:

* The book has a tendency to sound a little too much like an infomercial crossed with a self-help seminar.
* Occasionally, the book crosses the line from inspiring to self-promotional.
* A few chapters are a bit hand wavy and naive, such as the one on exercise and diet.

Some good quotes:

Business plans don't raise dollars, people do.

Hire slow, fire fast. I can’t stress that enough. No one has ever said that they fired somebody too soon.

We achieve being through doing. The notion that your most authentic self will come through simply by doing the things you love absolutely captivated me. It means that you will simply be exactly who you want to be when you start acting that way.