ybrikman

ybrikman

The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger In my opinion, this is an overrated high school reading "classic" that gets far more credit than it deserves. While the novel is very well written to create the mindset of an adolescent - and for that alone may be worth reading - the themes this perspective leads to are what make the book rather weak. The issues the character deals with are either unimportant, uninteresting, or just plain absurd. Although in some ways, that may well be the point of the story, it doesn't make it any more interesting to read.

I found myself frequently bored and the only emotion drawn from me was frustration at Holden's frequent stupidity. He doesn't develop much as a character and other than telling you how much he hates everything, he doesn't react to his circumstances in a reasonable manner. Most of the book can be likened to listening to a high school kid complain about his "important" issues and it left me rolling my eyes or drifting off to more interesting topics through much of the story.